Some of these statistics have me scratching my head. As a progressive who votes Democrat, and a New Yorker, I’m almost hoping some of it is wrong, but the NY Times does pretty good reporting, so the numbers are likely accurate!
By Robert A. Vella
Well over a year ago, The Secular Jurist began to repeatedly warn Democrats they would lose the crucial 2014 election and seriously divide the party going forward if they didn’t coalesce around a core set of principles (see here, here, and here). In A Blueprint for the Left, we proposed the following political platform:
- Economic fairness through the concern for workers and for human prosperity.
- Social justice as a principled commitment to civil rights and equal application of the law.
- Public education as the instrument of knowledge and for developing productive citizens.
- Secular government to ensure both freedom of, and freedom from religion.
- Political equality via open democracy and restricting the corrupting influence of money.
- Self-determination through the preclusion of transnational and supranational authorities.
Now, after the November debacle, some Democrats are warming-up to our idea… belatedly. From Richard Eskow of Campaign…
View original post 260 more words