Many viewers of the debate felt that it ended up being more of a showcase for Donald Trump’s ego than a discussion of real policy.
It’s important for people to know the stance each candidate has taken on the issues, especially since it may not have been clear from Thursday night’s spectacle. So I’ve posted this chart that spells it out pretty well. The topics (see left) are a bit hard to make out, so I’ve re-written them below:
- Opposes policies that protect familes fom deportation
- Opposes marriage equality (TOO LATE!)
- Ignores climate science
- Courts the Koch Brothers
- Opposed minimum wage increases
- Opposes women’s right to choose
- Supports cuts to Social Security and/or Medicare
- Supports defunding Planned Parenthood
- Supports anti-public education voucher schemes
- Supports tax plans that benefit the wealthy
- Would appoint conservative justices like Scalia and Thomas
Note that the views held are nearly unanimous among the candidates. So as the chart asks, what’s to debate? This is the kind of America you’re asking for if you vote Republican.
More info on these issues can be found at:
TheGuardian.com – “Republican debate: Trump was garbled, incoherent – but dominant”